Oral Hygiene with a Hygienist: Promoting Healthy Smiles
Maintaining good oral hygiene is crucial for a healthy mouth and overall well-being. While regular brushing and flossing are fundamental, it is equally important to visit a dental hygienist on a regular basis. A dental hygienist is a trained oral health professional who plays a vital role in preventive dental care.
Why is it essential to see a hygienist on a regular basis?
- Professional Teeth Cleaning: Despite our best efforts, plaque and tartar can accumulate in hard-to-reach areas of the mouth. A dental hygienist has the expertise and specialized tools to remove these stubborn deposits effectively. Regular professional cleanings help prevent the development of gum disease, cavities, and other oral health issues.
- Early Detection and Prevention: Dental hygienists are skilled at identifying early signs of oral health problems. During your visit, they will thoroughly examine your teeth, gums, and oral tissues, looking for signs of decay, gum disease, oral cancer, and other abnormalities. Early detection allows for prompt treatment and prevents further complications.
- Personalized Oral Care Advice: Hygienists offer valuable guidance on maintaining optimal oral hygiene. They can assess your brushing and flossing techniques and provide tailored recommendations to improve your oral care routine. From selecting the right toothbrush and toothpaste to demonstrating proper flossing techniques, a hygienist helps you achieve a thorough and effective oral hygiene regimen.
- Education on Oral Health: Dental hygienists are excellent sources of oral health education. They can educate you about the importance of a balanced diet, the impact of lifestyle choices (such as tobacco use) on oral health, and the benefits of fluoride. Hygienists can also provide guidance on managing common oral health concerns like tooth sensitivity or bad breath.
- Periodontal Care: If you have gum disease or are at risk, regular visits to a hygienist are crucial. They can perform deep cleaning procedures such as scaling and root planing, which remove plaque and tartar from below the gumline. Periodontal care helps prevent the progression of gum disease and promotes gum tissue healing.
Maintaining a regular schedule with a dental hygienist ensures that your oral health is closely monitored, and any issues are addressed promptly. By partnering with a hygienist, you can take proactive steps towards preventing dental problems and achieving a healthy, confident smile.
Remember, oral hygiene is a lifelong commitment, and your hygienist is your trusted partner in maintaining optimal oral health. Schedule your regular appointments today and invest in a brighter, healthier future for your smile.
Our dental hygienist, Brooke Holmes, has been busy with extra training and certification courses in using the diode laser for dental hygiene procedures and therapy. She is the first hygienist in New Zealand to be trained and to purchase the new Biolase Epic Hygiene Laser. She completed her training from Biolase, training with one of the top hygienists in laser therapy in the USA; and WCLI (World Clinical Laser Institute).
Brooke is so excited to offer this new therapy to patients, and this has been a goal of hers for quite some time to bring laser therapy into dental hygiene practice. Your mouth harbours more bacteria than anywhere else on your body, and some of these bacteria are beneficial, while many contribute to things like gingivitis, periodontal disease, and even decay. Lasers can help combat this by eliminating the bacteria within your gums.
This promotes more comfortable appointments, more comfort after scaling and root planing appointments, faster healing times, as well as producing no aerosols. Diode laser usage as a hygiene procedure is also an extremely safe procedure that virtually anyone of any age can have with ease.
She is offering several different procedures that range from Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy, Laser Bacterial Reduction, and treatment for apthous ulcers or herpetic lesions. With Lasers you get healthier gum tissue, faster and long lasting results, less down time after procedure, faster healing, and most importantly a healthier smile.
EMS Airflow Dental Hygiene
EMS Airflow dental hygiene is an innovative and highly effective teeth cleaning technique used in dentistry. It involves the use of a specialized device called EMS Airflow, which combines a controlled stream of air, water, and fine powder particles to remove plaque, stains, and biofilm from teeth surfaces and interdental spaces. This technique is preferred by many patients for several reasons:
- Thorough cleaning: EMS Airflow dental hygiene provides a thorough and comprehensive cleaning of the teeth. The combination of air, water, and powder particles effectively dislodges and removes even the most stubborn stains, plaque, and biofilm, resulting in cleaner and healthier teeth.
- Gentle and comfortable: One of the reasons patients love EMS Airflow is that it is gentle and comfortable compared to traditional cleaning methods. The device uses a controlled stream of air and water, reducing the need for manual scraping or abrasive instruments. This makes the procedure more pleasant and minimizes discomfort during the cleaning process.
- Fast and efficient: EMS Airflow dental hygiene offers efficient and time-saving benefits. The high-pressure stream of air and water, combined with the fine powder particles, enables the hygienist to clean the teeth quickly and efficiently. This means less time spent in the dental chair, which is appreciated by patients with busy schedules.
- Enhanced oral hygiene: The deep cleaning provided by EMS Airflow improves oral hygiene. By effectively removing plaque, stains, and biofilm, it helps prevent the buildup of harmful bacteria and reduces the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. Patients appreciate the long-lasting cleanliness and fresh feeling that comes with EMS Airflow dental hygiene.
- Aesthetic benefits: The use of EMS Airflow can significantly improve the appearance of teeth. It can remove stubborn stains caused by factors like coffee, tea, tobacco, or certain foods, resulting in a brighter and more attractive smile. This aesthetic improvement is another reason why patients love EMS Airflow.
- Suitable for various patients: EMS Airflow dental hygiene is suitable for a wide range of patients, including those with sensitive teeth or gums. The device's adjustable settings allow the hygienist to tailor the pressure and powder flow according to individual needs, ensuring a comfortable and personalized cleaning experience.
It's important to note that while EMS Airflow dental hygiene is generally well-received by patients, it may not be suitable for everyone. Dentists and dental hygienists evaluate each patient's oral health condition and recommend the most appropriate cleaning method based on their specific needs and requirements.