Being pregnant is exciting time, however pregnancy demands can lead to some dental problems. It can increase the risk of tooth decay and gum disease in some woman. Research has also found a link between gum disease in some pregnant woman and premature birth with low birth weight.
Our team at Tauranga Crossing Dental can help to maintain your dental health during this difficult, demanding and exciting time.
We know that the most common causes for dental health problems are:
• Hormonal changes
• Morning sickness (vomiting)
• Poor oral hygiene due to lack of energy and retching during brushing
• Diet due to craving sugar food and soft drinks
• Visit our hygienist 2-3 times during pregnancy
• If it is possible check your dental health before you conceive
• Let us know if you have any worries or concerns regarding your diet cravings, home care or oral health
• Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoridated toothpaste
• Floss between your teeth at least once a day
• Use mouthwash for your needs
The good news is with the proper home care regime and professional help, your teeth and gums should stay healthy during pregnancy.